10.27.2006

Conflicted

A few weeks ago, the event I planned for the Seattle Chapter of the Surfrider Foundation commenced, and we made around $2500. It was so much fun, and we had a really good turnout!

To celebrate this acheivement, I went to the Oregon coast with my Cousin Tait, Aunt Colleen, Uncle Pat, Uncle Chris, and Uncle Todd.

Here comes the kicker. The event was to raise awareness for the protection of our oceans, waves and beaches -- and I went to ride quads on the beach the next weekend. These two hobbies are in direct contradiction of each other and therefore doing both makes me a hypocrite. I have such a conflicted personality.... I believe we need to save our environment from ultimate ruin, but I also like to have a good time and therefore use the environment for activities that induce an adrenaline rush. Maybe there is still a chance for me?

But, I have to admit... it was a BLAST! It was also fun to think that next time I go, I'm bringing my surfboard and wetsuit so I can do both. :)

Here are some pics from hanging out at the beach!

Pat looks worried!
Tait getting some lessons.
Not only are we family, but we are color coded!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10/30/2006

    We all feel "conflicting" tugs (preserving the environment and/or having fun in it). Surfrider is a bit unique in that way... our mission statement literally says "Protection and enjoyment of oceans, waves and beaches". We're not some abstract enviro made up of people that never get out into the environment... we're out there all the time.

    To protect and to surf.

    Jim Moriarty
    Surfrider Foundation

    ReplyDelete