8.09.2006

Why are you like this? Like what? Like, how you are?

Those of you that were in High School in the 90's or even Junior High, might remember my favorite show My So Called Life. It was my favorite show for so many reasons, mostly because it was my life. I was Angela with a different name, and the guy in my life at the time had a different name than Jordan Catalano but they looked alike, they acted alike... they both had bands, it was weird.

I'm sure you are wondering (if I didn't leave you a hysterical message from Chicago) what any of this has to do with day three of Lollapalooza. Lets start on Friday.

So, you might remember that Kevin and I had in and out privileges for the show. Thank god. We took advantage of this on Friday at a break in the bands and went to the Exchequer for food. Its just pub food, but its dark and cool in there so we thought it was amazing. On the way into the festival on Friday I was grabbing all the handouts, one of which was a newspaper describing all the bands.

As I've mentioned before, Lollapalooza is about choices. At 3:30 on Sunday there were three bands that I wanted to see. Playing, of course, at the same time on three different stages, right on the heels of another band I wanted to watch. In the 3:30 time slot, there are four bands playing and one of them is 30 Seconds to Mars, who I didn't know or recognize. (They aren't played on KEXP...and if they are I haven't payed attention enough to care.) Kevin makes a comment about them and I look them up.

OMG. Its Jordan Catalano's band. I am so going! But first I have to map out my day on Sunday. It goes something like this:
12:15 Trevor Hall
12:30 Sparta
2:15 Hot Chip
2:30 Nickel Creek
3:30 Andrew Bird; Pepper; The New Amsterdams... and now 30 Seconds to Mars. NO WAY is Jared Leto going to be in the same zip code and I'm not going to see him.
4:30 The Shins
5:00 Of Montreal
5:30 She Wants Revenge
6:30 Queens of the Stone Age
8:30 Red Hot Chili Peppers.

If you bothered to look at the times, and the map from the area... you'd realize this is next to impossible... but I try.

I got there late, so I missed Trevor Hall, but caught up w/ Sparta. Who's lead singer looks similar to someone I dated...

I watch Sparta til its over, then I'm off to Hot Chip, who I was introduced to by not only KEXP but my friend Jesse. So, I wanted to see these guys up close, and since I'm short, I wanted to get there early enough to be in the front. My brother and Lori are going to meet me somewhere when they get there, but our schedules are a bit different, so I know we'll meet up later in the day. I'm on my own.

On my way to Hot Chip's set, I take a gander at the haps at the Virgin Megastore tent where they have bands that are going to show up to sign autographs. I notice 30 Seconds to Mars will be there at 5 and smirk to myself about getting Jared Leto's autograph. Then, continue on my way to Hot Chip.

Hot Chip is just fun. The singer looks A LOT different than I thought. and I thought the guitar player was the sound check guy... but they sounded great. After I called Jesse and left him a message, found out where Lori and my brother were and made a meet up place, I was off for a good viewing point for 30 Seconds to Mars.

I'm giggling as I walk over there. I cannot believe I'm doing this... oh well. I'm 1/2 an hour early and I'm 30 rows back. You're kidding me. Eh. Oh well. Then I notice the crowd. Lots of girls here. And none of them have those beer bracelets...either they don't drink.... or they are that young -- meaning yes. I am that old.

I wait. and wait. And then I see someone bring a couple boxes of popscicles on stage. How thoughtful! Cause its hot. At least that is what everyone is bitching about around me. That and how their makeup melted yesterday so they got a sunburn. Ha. That one made me laugh.

And then...dun dun dun. The dark music begins to play. A tragic, dramatic, classical piece plays loudly over the speakers. The entire song. At the end the group runs out dressed in all white with kubuku mask covering their faces and white bandanas covering their necks; black hair flowing out the back, with a flag of thier band that sat on stage right the entire performance. This entire act was a crescendo into Jared Leto ripping his mask off for the crowd to see. and then he threw out roses. 30seconds to Mars

This is the horrible video I shot.

So, I'm not sure if it was seeing Jared Leto in person, trying to figure out if the music was good or not, or all the anticipation of seeing Jared Leto in person, but I lost all control of how to work the camera, my stomach was doing something strange that reminded me of the time I met Vince Vaughn, and my eyes were open. Staring. Just feet away from Jared Leto. Then... His drummer is his friend from My So Called Life (who I thought was way hotter than Jordan...but he was such an ass. Must be why I liked him. Seems to be a theme in my life. I bet his real name is Jason.) I'm screwed. I'm captivated. Mesmerized. Hypnotized.

And then Jared climbs the scaffolding. And sings a song. I couldn't tell if I was horrified or if I liked this. It was so strange. It was like watching a play.

So, I stay for more songs than I thought I would. It was like a train wreck. I couldn't pull myself away. I immediately pick up my phone and call my mom to tell her that the show that she recorded for me in H.S. just entered a new phase in my life. She appreciated it since I was obsessed with my own version of Jordan Catalano (but Daymon was real and had better hair) and that was all I talked about back then. My english teacher even had me write a compare contrast paper about my life and Angela Chase's life. I included pictures. You will not see them here. Nice try.

I catch up to Kevin and Lori and I can barely breathe I've been laughing so hard w/ my mom. So, they want to go check it out and on the way over I call a few more people and leave out of breath messages.. and then

I go stand in line for an autograph.

Here I am with my signed Mt. Rainier bottle:

Here's many more pictures from that day.

The rest of the day was a bit of a blur. I'd had a plan. It was ditched the minute I saw Jared Leto.

The other highlight was seeing Mixmaster Mike... that was a great. He is amazing. Perry Farrell made an appearance to introduce him, and he played all kinds of things. Kevin got this great picture of him We danced there for a bit, then it was off to the Chili Peppers ... with the rest of Lollapalooza.

Chicago makes a great backdrop for a show:

Overall, the trip went well. Got some great stories, evened out my tan...told a bunch of people all it does in Seattle is rain... you know. The ususal. I will go back to Chicago, though maybe not for Lollapalooza. I felt like it was too big, and I was too old. Though... you never know.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/14/2006

    Isn't it a foregone conclusion that anyone you meet will look similar to someone you've dated, purely by the nature of large numbers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, did I detect a bit of jealousy in regards to the number of suitors that have been blessed with my presence?

    ReplyDelete