8.16.2006

Behind Closed Doors

There is this great scene of Cameron Diaz at the beginning of Charlie's Angels dancing in her underwear in her room. More than one person said it reminded them of me... of course I don't let people see me dancing around my room in my underwear... but that doesn't stop me from dancing around fully clothed.

Growing up, my parent's friends called me Katie Jean the Dancin' Machine. Especially Patty Broderson. She had this clown jukebox that played music when you pulled out the drawer at the bottom, and the clown danced... I believe she was the one that inspired me to dance. That's what I remember most about her; loud music, loud laughter, and her loudly telling me to 'dance Katie! Dance!'

This is sort of a backdrop to my life. Ballet at 4, moved around a lot so classes weren't always available... luckily there was MTV sometimes. This gave me an outlet for inspiration, self teaching, and new techniques in dance. Michael and Janet were two of my faves. I grew up thinking I was going to be a backup dancer for Janet...and actually was working towards it, until I went to a Ballet Master Class at Cornish and one of the women told me I'd never make it since I was 17 and didn't have formal training. So. I gave up thinking she was right... unfortunately.

So, every Halloween when this song comes on, I know the moves. I also know the moves to three of Janet's videos, and some other dances we were taught in HS and in college. So, if you happen to come to my house and I'm dancing around in the living room. You can thank Patty, Michael, and Janet.
Michael Jackson-Thriller

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/02/2006

    um...ok. but where are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. on the other side of the tv screen ;)

    ReplyDelete