1.22.2007

So much sun, so little time.

I woke up at 6:00 this morning and the sun was already up. It was around 80 degrees and there was a slight breeze, which has been a change from any other day. It's pretty hot here most of the time, and I'm happy that there is air conditioning (for once!) in our school.

Most mornings I've been waking up around 8, walking down the hill to Quepos from the Cabinas de Pedro Miguel; my hotel, and eating at a soda (diner) before school starts at 9:30. We get out of class at around 4:40, and the sun will go down around 5:45. We don't get much time in the sun during the week, so I'm going to start getting up earlier to sit by the pool before class.

The family that owns the Cabinas has breakfast out by the pool every morning. There are about 9 or 10 people in their family, and the children feed the monos, or monkeys, bananas in the morning. On Sunday there were about 25 monkeys running around on the roofs of the cabinas and jumping in the trees.

It's my first time away from home abroad on my own, and I've had quite the experience. A lot of the preparation time before coming was centered around how many gb of music I could fit on my Ipod that I got a week prior to leaving, how many gigs of memory could fit on my computer and how to store the pics while I was away. We also found out my dad is sick, and I wanted to be in contact with the family at all times, so it was decided that I would bring my cell phone for days that I was traveling and didn't have access to email. Most everything else was secondary (ie, I was already saving money for six months prior to pay bills and things, so the time I am in Costa Rica is to be spent stress free) and the school already contacted me about my accommodations -- the yellow apartment with the beautiful garden outside.

My departure day was the day it snowed, again, in Seattle, and I was worried the plane wasn't going to take off in time, meaning I'd miss my connection in Phoenix and then I wouldn't get here. But, everything went as planned, and we took off on time. It even happened that one of a friend of Susan's was on the plane with me, going to Costa Rica to get married! What a cool coincidence. Congratulations again Bree and CJ!

I get to the airport in Phoenix for my two hour layover, and sit near the gate to San Jose. Waiting, sans book, which I ended up purchasing a stupid cheesy super easy read and listening to my Ipod. I had to hand choose all the songs on my ipod because I have too much music and a very eclectic taste, but the end result was great.
I'm gearing up with everyone else to stand around the gate around the time the flight was to leave, and I'm wondering where the 'blonde girl who is about 5'3'' from Oregon' is ... we were supposed to try and find each other prior to the flight to San Jose, but I don't see her, unless she's the annying one who won't stop talking about yoga to the guy next to her... when the gate attendant announces that the flight to San Jose CALIFORNIA will be leaving approximately 20 minutes behind schedule. My flight to San Jose COSTA RICA was leaving in approximately 5 minutes from the other side of the terminal... so I run to the other side just in time to check in and see them closing the doors to the plane. Shit.

But, I made it on the plane. The woman I sat next to was teaching me about Colones - the currency for Costa Rica - and I was on my way! Once at the airport in San Jose Costa Rica, I found Carrie, and we were on our way to find the hostel bus to Hostel Pangea.

In the directions from the hostel about waiting for the shuttle to the hostel from the airport, they specifically tell you that you are not to believe the taxi drivers when they try to tell you the bus from the hostel has left you, so imagine our suprise when after finding the man who is holding the pangea sign, he shuffles us into a truck with Adrienne.

Adrienne told us earlier that he works at the hostel, as he's drinking a beer and smoking a cig. He proceeds to apologize to us for being drunk, but there is a once a year festival going on in San Jose right now called Palmares. I read about Palmares before coming, so I knew slightly what it was. He kept asking Carrie and I if we wanted to come back to party with them... we said no. Then, the guy with the hostel sign puts us -- and our luggage -- in an Isusu trooper with 5 ticos and Adrienne... all of whom are drinking, except the driver. Carrie and I, who've known each other for about 3 minutes, are smushed up against one side of the car; me on Carrie's lap. Apparently, they are our ride to the hostel, but not before we pick up another guy on the side of the highway, who piles in with us. .. yes, that's right.. 8 people in a trooper. Nice tight squeeze.

At this point I'm thinking all kinds of crazy thoughts... you name the idea, I've thought it... most of them involve any elder figure in my life telling me "I told you not to ride with strangers.. and in a strange country!!!" "You're going to get yourself seriously hurt..." Imagine my horror, when our destination ends at a sliding metal door with no sign, and only a few honks to open it. Slavery here I come. Shit.

On the other side of the door was this adorable pool (just like the one in the pictures) and some other people standing around upstairs having beers. This was the hostel. I've arrived....no worse for wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment