1.24.2007

Technology is awesome... if you can read what it's asking you.

I apologize for not being able to delete the multiple entries, but I can't find a word on the screen that looks like it would say "delete this.." so, bear with me.... language barriers.

So, to continue the story.

After I woke up and found out I'd been robbed... I cried. Naturally. Then went to the school and then the police station, then back to the place to collect our things. The detectives met us there and came up to look around to see if they could take fingerprints. Susan, one of our instructors, also came so that she could help with translation. See, I understand a lot, and can mime things back or use my limited vocab (which is growing by the day) but in a situation like this... I needed an interpreter.

Susan is discussing things with the manager/owner and Tiff and I are in our rooms trying to pack our things away. I start to get my clothes together, then realize... I have no backpack. So, not only did they take my electronics... they took my new backpack. So, that sent me over the edge and I couldn't stop crying.

Later, Tiff told me Susan and the manager/owner were discussing how 'safe' the place was. Susan was telling them anyone could get in there, that she didn't see how they thought no one could, and the woman was arguing saying she was the only one that could do it. As they were arguing, one of the detectives, got up on the railing, shimmied over to the part you could get in, and got in... point made. Nice job, Detective.

So, needless to say, I was a bit freaked. No worse for the wear, but definitely pissed that I have no camera to take pics with. This blog needs some pictures.

Tiff and I are now in the Cabinas with the rest of our classmates. It's a regular hang out every night. I think the cat finally got out of the bag that I'm 5 years older than I look, and it was pretty funny to see people's reactions, but everyone is super cool, and there are all kinds of age ranges.

I just got back from my first one-on-one lesson with Diana. We knew enough of each other's language to be able to ask "how do you say_____ in English/Spanish." I really like doing this. It has a great reward system, and Diana and I have fun together. Next week starts my classes that I'll be teaching, so I'm going to be busy this weekend making lesson plans and getting props and things together.

I would like to share this tidbit with you so that you know how amazing this new place is:

The sun is setting behind the trees that surround the cabinas. It's still really warm outside, around 75 degrees, and the old man who lives in the cabina below us is sitting by the pool listening to the radio play 'Daniel's Song' by Elton John. Sometimes you can hear him playing his violin during the day, which is really relaxing. Jose and Nubia's grandchildren are laughing about something and playing with their dad, who will manage the cabinas while Jose and Nubia go to San Jose next week.

Most of my classmates have gone to the beach straight after class to bob in the waves and watch the sun set, but I stayed behind so I could have some quiet time and get my lesson together for Diana tomorrow. It is slightly intimidating to think I'm going to be teaching someone English, but I guess that's what I'm learning for.

I sit quietly and watch from the upstairs portion of the cabinas, where my room is. Downstairs the old man starts humming along to the next song on the radio, an instrumental, and I realize it has been a week since I've had any music. I decide this is my lesson. I won't have the excuse of my Ipod, the safe barrier of my camera, or the comfort of merely observing. I'll have to take part, which is why I'm here, and I feel a sense of calm come over me. Now that I know why, I'll try my best to participate.

I kick my flip flops off, walk into my room and grab a beer from the fridge. Life's pretty good right now. It's a beautiful evening and we're going salsa dancing again, this time just across the street from the cabinas. It might be a late night, but class doesn't start until 9:30, so I'll have enough time to sleep in. I take a sip of my beer and smile, knowing I'm safe, I have my health, and I have nothing left for anyone to take... :)

Sorry if I didn't get the story out fast enough, and if I stressed anyone out about whether or not I'm safe. I'm safe now, and the worst is over... guess its better to get it out of the way, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment