2.13.2007

Waco Waco Jaco and Tarzan has nothin on me.

I said goodbye to all my friends on Sunday. It was a bit strange. I´d spent so much time with all of them that I already miss them. I feel like I need to write emails and tell them all about what I´m doing.

Lori and I board a bus to Jaco (which for the record everyone told each of us we would hate)... which we did. Jaco Blows. Its seriously full of tourists, full of people who cater to tourists, and all of those people are super rude. Everyone we encountered had attitude... and it was unnecessary because we were speaking perfect Spanish, waiting our turn, and being totally polite. Whatever. Anyway, we got off the bus, felt the vibe and tried to get out of town, but no luck. We ended up staying in town for one night.

Our cabinas were at the North end of town called Cabinas Clarita. We got one room with a private bathroom, and were just excited to go hang out at the beach for a bit. We went to the beach, watched the sunset then came back to the cabinas. As we´re getting ready to relax, we hear the guy in the next room (who sounded like he was in our room... just like there were no walls) start hacking up a lung. After awhile, he went to the bathroom and yes, we heard that as well. We were just hoping he didn´t snore.

We took a FREEZING cold shower (they said it was warm) and decided to walk to get something to eat (not at KFC or Quiznos both of which we passed on the way in) we got about a quarter of a mile down the road and decided we didn´t want to walk that far because it was a little sketchy, so we went to a soda and went back to the cabinas. Watched Extreme Home Makeover, then Desperate Housewives, and then we heard it. The snoring begins!

Needless to say we got up at 7 the next morning and headed to the bus to Punterenas. In Punterenas we walked around to find the post office and the bank with our packs and everything and then went to the internet before our next bus left to go to Monteverde. On the way back to the bus, I tripped in a crack on the sidewalk and almost went down, but when I tried to stand back up all the weight from my pack was up at my head and I went down. SInce I knew I was going down, I rolled off to my side and ended up on top of my backpack much like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. It was so funny I´m still laughing about it now. Lori and a tico man had to help me up. It was almost embarrassing but too funny not to laugh at.

Back to the bus, for the longest hottest trip ever. Up a dirt mountain road in a tour bus.

Lori and I are in Monteverde today, and we started out doing a tour of the cable bridges today. We saw a howler monkey in the tree. Now, the howler monkey is all black except for one part of his body. As we were watching him eat the leaves on the trees with some other people who had been watching him for awhile, Lori says....¨Awwww, look it looks like he´s wearing socks!¨to which everyone else on the bridge goes ¨uhhhh... those aren´t his feet.¨

It was pretty fun. Not a lot to see, but lots of walking. Next, we went on the zip line tour. I´ve been pensive about going on one of these because they are really expensive and they just look like a waste of money, but when we arrived yesterday (off a 9 hour bus trip from Waco Waco Jaco) we were bombarded right when we got off the bus by 6 different companies trying to get us to stay at their hotel-cabinas-hostel... and really wouldn´t leave until we´d made a decision about where to stay. Lori said at one point she looked over and there were papers flying all around my head and it was too much.

But, when we decided on Cabinas El Pueblo, the girl we went with took us to her younger brother, who took us to the Cabinas where we met his other sister, who told us about the Soda their mom owns and she said its the best place in town. Turns out everything this family told us was right on. We even took the advice of the little brother and went on a different canopy tour than his sister said. The one we went on had a repelling part and a tarzan swing. Not sure we had the right picture in our minds when we signed up because everything was a lot higher up than we though.... The tarzan swing was much like bungee jumping, they even make you turn around and do it backwards. I have great video of Lori screaming. :) There is video of me doing the repel part and I´m screaming as well. Now, this might seem silly, but to those of you who climb, you don´t have the person at the bottom with the break... they do it with their bare hands and you are coming from the top of the climb route.... hilarious. Totally fun! If anyone is going to Monteverde soon... 100% Aventura is the company. Tomorrow we are doing an ATV tour. I can´t remember the exact quote right now, but the lonely planet says ¨Nothing says I love nature like an adventure fueled by sulphorous exhaust!¨

No comments:

Post a Comment